The village of St. Peter’s in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia has a fascinating history. This area was one of the first sites in the New World to be settled by Europeans. Portuguese fishermen established San Pedro near the canal in 1521, however unaccustomed to the severe winters, they departed in 1525. Continuous occupancy dates back to 1650 when it was settled by adventurer Nicolas Denys. Today, the remains of forts, which were the first line of defence and a source of supply for the Fortress Louisbourg, are waiting to be explored in Battery Provincial Park, where a series of walking trails takes you through the park and around the village.
The famous St. Peter’s Canal, a National Historic site which joins the Atlantic Ocean to the sparkling Bras D’Or Lake, winds it’s way through Battery Provincial Park, creating a popular spot for fishing, picnicking, swimming and site seeing. The Nicolas Denys Museum, adjacent to the canal, tells the story of this famous explorer and fur trader who founded our community.
St. Peter’s, the birth place of world famous marine photographer, Wallace R. MacAskill is a must see. MacAskill’s 115 year old home displays over 100 hand tinted photographs and artifacts dating back to the early days of photography. MacAskill’s famous Bluenose photo is still reproduced on the Canadian dime.
St. Peter’s is also a gateway into the Bras d’Or Lake Biosphere Reserve, one of 18 designated UNESCO Biospheres in Canada. The biosphere is a “place where the people who live and work within its boundary try to attain a balanced relationship with the natural world, contributing to the needs of society as a whole by showing a way to a more sustainable future.” ” The Bras d’Or Lake Biosphere is so much more than local people designating their place as special. We are an international showcase for ‘how to do it right’ designated by UNESCO’s Man and the Biosphere Program (MAB).”
If you are interested in walking about the village the map below provides some walking routes and trails for you to consider.
St. Peter’s is a community with a rich and varied history. We have a proud tradition of story-telling. Read on to find out more about our small but mighty Village!
Peter’s is one of North America’s oldest European settlements, tracing its history to the 1630s when a small fortified settlement named “Saint Pierre” was built by merchants from La Rochelle, France on the isthmus. In 1650, La Rochelle merchant Nicholas Denys took possession of Saint Pierre and encouraged the fur trade with local members of the Mi’kmaq Nation who used the isthmus as a canoe portage route between the Atlantic Ocean and Bras d’Or Lake. In addition to establishing a fur trading post, Denys later used the isthmus as a “haul over road” for portaging small sailing ships from Bras d’Or Lake to the Atlantic and vice versa.
France lost possession of present-day peninsular (main land) Nova Scotia to Britain in the Treaty of Utrecht in 1713. France began moving some Acadian colonists to Ile Royale (present-day Cape Breton Island) to populate this remaining outpost of Acadia. Port Toulouse was created near the 17th century location of the fortified community of Saint Pierre as a logistics base and supply centre for Fortress Louisbourg. To protect Port Toulouse, France built another fortification on the shore. The forts at Port Toulouse and Saint Pierre and settlements in the area were destroyed by the British in 1758 following the fall of Fortress Louisbourg and the rest of Acadia became a British colony.
Acadia in its entirety was given the name Nova Scotia, which was used as the name used since 1713 for Britain’s portion of the territory. Britain sponsored settlers and displaced veterans from the Seven Years’ War to move into the area of Saint Pierre/Port Toulouse. France declared war on Great Britain on February 1, 1793 during the French Revolutionary Wars. In response, Britain built Fort Dorchester on the summit of Mount Granville, a hill overlooking the isthmus.
The village was renamed St. Peters early in the 1800s. Local residents rehabilitated Denys’s old “haul over road”, laying wood skids for portaging small sailing ships across the isthmus. The route through Bras d’Or Lake was considered a much shorter and safer voyage to Sydney than traveling around the exposed southern coast of Cape Breton Island. In 1825 a feasibility study into building a canal was undertaken. Construction of the St. Peters Canal began in 1854 and took 15 years of digging, blasting and drilling through a solid granite hill 20 m (65 ft high to build a channel 800 m (2,600 ft long with an average width of 30 m (100 ft). The canal opened in 1869 at the dawn of the industrial age on Cape Breton Island. There can be a tidal difference of up to 1.4 m (4.5 ft) thus a lock was designed to regulate water levels.
The walls of the canal were lined with timber planking and locks were installed at each end. Modifications to the canal and lock continued until 1917 and the canal saw moderate to heavy use by small coastal steamships and barges, particularly during the First and Second World Wars when coal from the Sydney Coal Field was transported on this sheltered inland route to avoid U boats. A marble quarry on the western shore of Bras d’Or Lake at Marble Mountain also generated some shipping traffic. Limestone was also sipped to the steel mill in Sydney.
The canal was designated a National Historic Site in 1929 and the federal government took over its operation. Parks Canada is the government agency responsible for its maintenance and operation and undertook a major project to restore both entrances to the canal in 1985. During the postwar, commercial shipping has largely avoided traveling through Bras d’Or Lake and the canal is almost exclusively used by pleasure boats, particularly sail boats with the increased popularity of cruising Bras d’Or Lake in recent decades.
Parks Canada operates the canal from May to October each year. Vessels transiting the canal are limited by the size of the lock, which measures 91.44 m (301 ft) long, 14.45 m (47 ft) wide, and 4.88m (16 ft) draught. The ruins of Nicholas Denys’s Fort Saint Pierre are located on the grounds of the lock master’s house (ca. 1876) and the ruins of Fort Dorchester are located on Mount Granville which overlooks the Atlantic approach to the canal.