This canal has probably the longest building record in the British Empire. It was first discussed in 1825 in the Provincial General Assembly but was not commenced until 1854. Work was suspended in 1856 and it was not started anew until 1865. After four years, it was finished in 1869. The advent of bigger boats required it to be enlarged and this meant new constructions in 1875 with a completions date of 1881. The next need for change came in 1912 when the canal was widened to its present size and completed in 1917. In August, 1969, the 100th Anniversary of the opening of the canal was observed.” is in the library.
|Website:||Parks Canada – St. Peter’s Canal|